Want to take your gold polishing to the next level? Before getting started, make sure you read our first blog on gold polishing. In that post, we covered some of the ways to make your gold shine using materials you already have in your home. Those methods are easy (and low risk) ways to keep your gold looking fresh, and should always be the first steps you take in maintaining that golden shine.
If you're looking to take things a little further, we've got a few advanced polishing methods for you! These methods are perfect if your gold jewelry has some stubborn surface scratches, or you have a special event coming up where you need to make a statement with a big shine. If you want to step things up, read on to learn about some more advanced techniques that will bring that gold shine to a new level.
Disclaimer: These methods are specifically for solid gold jewelry. While they may be suitable for certain gemstones, many stones are delicate and could be affected or damaged by these cleaning agents and methods. If you aren't sure if you should proceed, make sure to do extra research or reach out to us and we'd be happy to help. These methods will also require you to purchase materials and/or tools that you most likely don't have sitting around.
Method 1: Microfiber Cloth and Jewelry Polishing Cream
Introducing the microfiber magic – a technique that combines a microfiber cloth and jewelry polishing cream to give your pieces the royal treatment.
What You'll Need:
- Microfiber cloth (included with all Nova Lita purchases!)
- Jewelry polishing cream or paste for gold like this one (we don't get any kickback from this, so feel free to do your research on the best one)
- Start with your Nova Lita microfiber cloth. These soft cloths are like a cozy blanket for your jewelry.
- Gently apply a small amount of the polishing cream onto the microfiber cloth. Remember, a little goes a long way.
- Using circular motions, pamper your gold jewelry. Treat it like the star it is, focusing on areas that need extra care.
- Be cautious with intricate designs; excess cream could get lodged in crevices. You might need a soft brush to clean those later.
- Behold the transformation! Your gold jewelry will be gleaming, ready to steal the show.
Method 2: Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner
Get ready to immerse your jewelry in a symphony of high-frequency waves with the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. While it's a fantastic method, and it's probably our most used cleaning method here at Nova Lita, make sure to learn the dos and don'ts to ensure this method is right for your jewelry.
What You'll Need:
- Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (something like this)
- Mild jewelry cleaning solution
- Create a mixture of water and a mild jewelry cleaning solution. Follow the instructions with your cleaner as they are all different.
- Activate the ultrasonic cleaner and let your gold jewelry indulge in a luxurious high frequency vibrational bath in the cleaning solution.
- After a few minutes, your jewelry will emerge refreshed and sparkling, ready to reclaim its glory.
- Don't forget to give your pieces a thorough dry-off with a microfiber or polishing cloth before their grand entrance.
Another caution: while ultrasonic cleaners are powerful, there are several gemstones that are not compatible with them so do your research. And remember, the drying step is crucial to prevent any potential water spots from dulling your jewelry's shine.
Method 3: Jewelry Polishing Cloth with Rouge Compound
Who said a little rouge was only for makeup? A rouge compound can be a powerful tool in your arsenal to eliminate surface scratches and ramp up that shine.
What You'll Need:
- Jewelry polishing cloth with embedded rouge compound
- Get your hands on a jewelry polishing cloth equipped with rouge compound.
- Find a clean surface to lay your gold jewelry down.
- Gently and lovingly rub your jewelry with the polishing cloth. Think of it as a gentle massage for your treasures.
- Apply moderate pressure to let the rouge compound work its magic, bidding farewell to scratches and imperfections.
- Remember to pay special attention to intricate designs, but be cautious not to leave excess rouge in crevices.
You might be surprised how well this method works to make your jewelry look like new. Keep in mind that if there is excess rouge compound, and it gets in the tiny crevices of your jewelry, it may be tough to clean. If this happens, a soft brush might be your best ally (or a quick ultrasonic bath).
Method 4: Steam Cleaning Machine
Prepare to witness the transformation of your jewelry as we introduce the powerful steam cleaning machine. Personally, we prefer the ultrasonic cleaner to steam cleaning, but it certainly is effective! Always err on the side of caution and do your research before introducing your jewelry to the steam spa to make sure it's compatible.
What You'll Need:
- Steam cleaning machine
- Appropriate water and cleaning solution (if required)
- Before proceeding, make sure your gold jewelry can withstand the steam cleaning process. Consulting with a professional or checking the manufacturer's guidelines is essential, particularly if there are any gemstones.
- If needed, prepare the steam cleaning machine with the appropriate water and cleaning solution.
- Carefully place your jewelry into the machine.
- Let the steam work its enchantment as it dissolves dirt and grime, leaving your jewelry looking brand new.
- Once the cycle is complete, handle your jewelry with care as it may be hot. Allow it to cool and dry before showing off its brilliance.
Conclusion: Elevate Your Shine
There you have it, the secrets of advanced gold jewelry polishing techniques! Whether you're buffing with a cloth, serenading with ultrasonic waves, or giving a steamy spa treatment, your jewelry is in good hands. Embrace these techniques, restore their radiance, and let your jewelry shine like the stars they are.
Nova Lita Vintage