If you have been following Nova Lita Vintage for a little while, especially on our Instagram, you know I love layering my jewelry. I particularly love layering my necklaces (#neckmess of the day!), bracelets and earrings. Mixing and matching various styles and colors help create unique and eye-catching looks and help me express my personal style.
While I'm not the only one who loves layering, I know that when you're just starting to build a jewelry collection, it's hard to know what will and won't work together. Ultimately it always comes down to your personal style and preferences, but here are some tips and inspiration to help you master the art of layering with gold jewelry.
- Start with a statement piece
The key to successful layering is to start with a statement piece, such as a bold pendant necklace or a chunky bracelet. This piece will be the focal point of your layered look, so choose something that reflects your style and personality. You could go for a piece that features your birthstone or a symbol that has personal meaning to you.
- Experiment with different chain types and styles
Once you've chosen your statement piece, it's time to start layering. One of the most important elements of layering is to mix and match different chain types and styles to create visual interest. For example, you could combine a chunky link chain with a delicate, dainty chain, or layer two or three delicate chains of different lengths.
- Play with length and layering order
Layering is all about creating depth and dimension, so don't be afraid to play with length and layering order. You could start with a shorter necklace and then layer longer chains to create a cascading effect. Alternatively, you could layer necklaces of the same length but with different pendant styles or colors.
- Mix and match colors and textures
Another key element of successful layering is mixing and matching different colors and textures. While gold is the main focus, you can also mix in gemstones or colored beads for added interest. For example, you could layer a gold chain with a strand of colorful beads, or add a pendant necklace featuring a colored gemstone.
- Experiment with bracelets and earrings
Don't forget to layer bracelets and earrings too! When layering bracelets, consider mixing bangles and chains, or stacking bracelets of different thicknesses and textures. For earrings, you could mix and match stud and hoop earrings, or add ear cuffs or crawlers for added visual interest.
Some examples of chain types and styles that work well together include:
- Cable chains: These chains have a classic, timeless look and work well with delicate chains or thicker link chains.
- Figaro chains: These chains feature a pattern of two or three small links followed by a longer link, and are great for adding texture and visual interest to your layered look.
- Rolo chains: These chains have a round or oval link pattern and work well with chunky link chains or delicate chains.
- Snake chains: These chains have a smooth, sleek appearance and work well with delicate chains or thicker link chains.
When layering, remember to have fun and experiment with different combinations until you find a look that feels true to you. By following these tips and playing with different chain types, textures, and colors, you can create a unique and eye-catching layered look with your favorite gold jewelry.